Dates: June 9 & 10 2018 September 15 & 16 2018 December 1 & 2 2018
Time: 9:30am - 6:00pm
Snacks provided, lunch on your own
Where: Pathways to Wellness 3505 Cadillac Ave, Suite O-109 Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Cost: $799/Couple $749 for Students/Interns and Clinicians (with Student ID or license #)
Call today: 714-432-9856
Continuing Education Credits: 13.5 CEs available, provided by R. Cassidy and can be purchased BY CLICKING HERE
Registration Transfer/Cancellation Policy: If a cancellation is made more than three weeks prior to the workshop date, a full refund minus a $75 processing fee will be given. If your cancellation occurs within three weeks of the workshop date, your registration will be converted to a credit for the amount paid. Your credit plus a $75 processing fee is valid for a full year to register for a future “The Art and SCIENCE of Love” Couples Workshop” produced by Dr. Young. Registration fees subject to change without notice.
ADA Accommodations: Special needs? Please let us know how we can serve you.
Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
Art & Science of Love:
A Weekend Workshop for Couples
Designed by Drs. John & Julie Gottman*
Presented by: Nancy D. Young, Ph.D.
Certified Gottman Therapist and Master Trainer
This comprehensive, science-based couple and marriage workshop & retreat is appropriate for couples of every age, ability, and sexual orientation: premarital, engaged, married, cohabiting, gay, straight, happy or struggling couples. All of the ideas presented to you will be grounded in sound and extensive scientific research brought to you from the Gottman Relationship Institute. You will learn what actually works in relationships that are happy and stable.
2 days of engaging information and experiential activities designed to confirm, strengthen, or restore your love. No public discussion or disclosure is involved. All work is done as a couple and Dr. Young will be available to help those who need it.
- Shown to achieve results similar to those of 6 months of marital therapy
- Produces positive results for 86% of those who attend
Based on over 40 years of research, by John & Julie Gottman, with thousands of couples, The Art & Science of Love workshop will give you new insights and research-based skills that can dramatically improve the intimacy and friendship in your relationship and help you manage conflict in a healthy, positive way. Along with the memory of re-connecting and the knowledge that “we can do this,” you will take home a box set of cards, tools, and tips to support your relationship in your everyday lives.
Who Should Attend?
Research shows that on average, couples wait six years from the first signs of problems before they seek help. The workshop is designed to strengthen your marriage and/or relationship. If you have a strong relationship, this workshop will provide you with insights and tools to make it a great one. If your relationship is distressed, this workshop will provide a road map for repair.
what you'll learn
- Foster respect, affection and closeness
- Keep conflict discussions calm
- Build and share a deeper connection
- Break through and resolve conflict gridlock
- Strengthen and maintain success in your relationship
WHAT YOU'LL receive
In addition to a greater understanding of how to build friendship, manage conflict, and create shared meaning in your relationship, you will receive a box set, which contains:
- 7 Card Decks: Love Map, Opportunity, Open-ended Questions, Rituals of Connection, Salsa(Mild, Medium and Hot)
- 2 Couples Workbooks
- Repair Checklist
- Aftermath of a Fight Booklet
- Sound Relationship House Magnet
You’ll use these tools in the workshop’s one-on-one exercises and, hopefully, in the ongoing resolutions and deepenings of your relationship when you go home after our weekend together.
what to expect
The Art and Science of Love Workshop is designed to strengthen your relationship through engaging presentations and skill building exercises that are grounded in research. Dr. Nancy will share humorous stories, film clips and role plays. During the first day, you will learn how to build and maintain fondness, admiration, and closeness in your relationship or marriage. On the second day, you will work on conflict management while learning new and important communication skills. All of the exercises are designed to address your real-life challenges and you will work only with your partner. During the exercises, Dr. Nancy will be available to consult with those couples who desire help. There is no group work or public disclosure. This is an experiential, psycho-educational workshop for couples, and is not therapy. At the end of the workshop you will leave with a greater understanding of your relationship and the skills to repair or enhance it.
The Five Basic Questions:
How is your marriage / relationship doing?
- What makes relationships change, for better or for worse?
- If your relationship is in trouble, how can you turn it around?
- If your relationship is doing well, how can you ensure that it will continue to grow?
- As your relationship improves, how can you make changes last?
Assessing Your Relationship:
- Learn to recognize the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and what to do if they are attacking your relationship/marriage
- Identify your relationship's specific strengths and how to build on these
- Learn about the effects of physiological flooding and how it may impede conflict resolution
- Learn the small, easy steps that increase romance in your relationship
Building a "Sound Relationship House":
- Learn how Love Maps provide a solid foundation for intimacy
- Use the Fondness and Admiration System to renew respect and care for one another
- Create an Emotional Bank Account that you can draw upon in times of stress
- Develop your problem-solving skills and learn effective conflict resolution
- Find out how you can make your dreams and aspirations come true for you, your partner, and your relationship
Please Note: A brief telephone interview of all attendees is required before confirming participation in the workshop. Once payment is received, you will be contacted to set up the phone interview.
How does the Weekend Couples Workshops compare to Couples or Marriage Counseling? Whether you choose to work on your relationship in The Art & SCIENCE of Love (ASL): Weekend Couples Workshops, or in Couples or Marriage Counseling with a Gottman Certified Therapist, you are in good hands. In both venues you will be actively working with your partner in structured exercises designed to build your connection and increase understanding and empathy for one another even when you disagree. The workshop is a very powerful change agent for most couples and can accelerate progress significantly for many couples. Some couples may need to go more slowly and would flourish with more assistance than can be provided in a workshop setting. If you have any questions about the best fit for your particular situation, feel free to call or email Steph at 714-432-9856 ext 4 or email@example.com to discuss the most helpful option for your individual situation.
ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
Nancy D. Young, Ph.D. is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist and Certified Gottman Therapist, Master Trainer and Couple’s Workshop Leader directly trained by Drs. John and Julie Gottman. Dr. Young is a seasoned, active Gottman Method therapist, speaker, and presenter, with over 35 years’ experience as a full-time therapist, working with individuals and couples and their relationships. Her doctoral dissertation research was on types of romantic love. In addition to her psychotherapy practice, Dr. Young taught undergraduate and graduate classes, such as: Interpersonal Relationships & Romantic Love, Human Sexuality, Sexual Disorders & Treatment, Substance Disorders & Treatment, and other general psychology topics, at Chapman University for over 20 years. She is also a CAMFT-Certified Supervisor and is passionate about teaching others how to integrate the Gottman tools with their own clients. As a presenter, she is warm, clear, insightful, and generally entertaining.
* The Art & Science of Love workshop was designed by Drs. John is based on Dr. John Gottman’s leading edge research involving over 3,000 couples spanning the past three decades. Gottman is the author of 190 published academic articles, and author or co-author of over 40 books including the best sellers Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work, What Makes Love Last, The Relationship Cure, Why Marriages Succeed or Fail, The Science of Trust, Principia Amoris, and Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child, and many others.